Father Albert Phelan, C.P., St. Paul of the Cross Province (1861-1925)

Home / Biography / Father Albert Phelan, C.P., St. Paul of the Cross Province (1861-1925)

Born June 29, 1861 in Ballyragget County, Kilkenny, Ireland, he professed his vows as a Passionist on May 14, 1882 and was ordained on May 26, 1888 by Bishop Richard Phelan of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at St. Michael’s Church, West Hoboken, New Jersey. The reason that Bishop Phelan ordained this Passionist was because they were relatives. Before Bishop Phelan was a bishop he had gone to Ireland and the young Phelan had served his Mass. The future Bishop suggested he come to the United States to study for the priesthood. In conversation the Passionists were suggested. After the cholera epidemic of 1854 then Father Richard Phelan of the Pittsburgh diocese asked to enter the Passionists, but it appears that Passionist Fathers Anthony Calandri and Dominic Tarlattini thought it best that he remain in service to Bishop O’Connor of Pittsburgh. After Father Albert Phelan was ordained he was rector of Holy Cross Monastery, Cincinnati, Ohio from 1896 to 1899. From 1899 to 1902 he was rector of St. Mary’s, Dunkirk, New York. He later became the first superior of Louisville, Kentucky and then went to Chicago until 1905 when he was elected as the first canonical rector of St. Ann’s Monastery, Scranton, Pennsylvania. In 1908 he was elected second provincial consultor. In 1911 he requested a release from that office. Granted, he used the opportunity to spend a year in St. Joseph’s Province which consisted of the Passionist activity in England and Ireland. There he was a preacher of missions and renewals. He then went to Rome at the invitation of the Superior General and was hospital chaplain at the English speaking hospital on the Celian hill located near Sts. John and Paul monastery. This hospital was directed by the Little Company of Mary. He celebrated his twenty-fifth anniversary of ordination in Rome and met Pope Pius X. In 1913 he returned to the United States and continued to preach. He died at Mercy Hospital, Pittsburgh.