Born October 25, 1878 on Mount Adams, Cincinnati, Ohio, he was a member of Immaculata Parish. On Thanksgiving eve 1892 he left Cincinnati for the Passionist Preparatory College at St. Mary’s, Dunkirk, New York. He then went to the novitiate in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and on October 15, 1895 professed his vows. He was then sent back to Cincinnati to study for priesthood. He also studied at Normandy, Missouri. In 1901 he was sent to the Holy Cross Monastery, since the old Mitchell Observatory had been torn down. He was ordained on January 18, 1903. After ordination he and his classmates were sent to St. Michael’s Monastery, West Hoboken, New Jersey for Sacred Eloquence under the direction of Father Philip Birk, C.P. who was a personal friend of Orestes Brownson. After that he did ministry in Dunkirk, Chicago, Illinois and St. Paul, Kansas. He also ministered in the Oklahoma Territory. When Holy Cross Province was established in 1906 Father Kruip went to Normandy, Missouri and then to Louisville, Kentucky where he was vice-master of novices and then finally Rector of Louisville. While he was Rector he did extensive work as a hospital or military chaplain at Camp Taylor where there was a major flu epidemic. The Sisters of Loretto also worked there. He was again in Louisville during the flood of 1937 as hospital chaplain at St. Joseph’s Hospital which was completely isolated. He was also a chaplain at various religious houses in Cincinnati and was chaplain for six years at Cardome Academy, Georgetown, Kentucky. At the same time he was a preacher of missions and retreats. Beginning in 1904 at the Pro-Cathedral of Wichita, Kansas until his death he conducted over 800 missions and retreats.
In his later years he was ill and lived in Cincinnati, where he had permission to say Mass sitting down, and then later in Chicago. Several weeks before his death the house doctor, Father John Lally noticed gangrene so he was admitted to Resurrection Hospital where he died.