Father Brendan Boyle, C.P., St. Paul of the Cross Province (1904-1960)

Home / Biography / Father Brendan Boyle, C.P., St. Paul of the Cross Province (1904-1960)

Born John Bernard Boyle on March 31, 1904 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, he was the son of John Boyle and Margaret Molloy. He attended St. Mary’s elementary school and high school in Wilkes-Barre and afterward entered the Passionist Seminary at Dunkirk, New York. On August 15, 1927 he professed his Passionist vows in West Springfield, Massachusetts and received the religious name Brendan. On June 15, 1933 he was ordained to the priesthood at the Cathedral, Baltimore, Maryland by Archbishop Michael J. Curley. His first assignment was director of students from 1935 until 1941; he was then vicar of Immaculate Conception Monastery, Jamaica, New York from 1941 until 1944 when he became provincial econome, a post that he held until his death. This position of econome or treasurer was gaining increased importance and was equal to demands that one faced in a large corporation. Banking, investment skills, state and government tax regulations and a sense of national and international finance was required, along with postal and customs and insurance regulations, loan payments, and contractual agreements, as well as legacies. He became an invaluable resource in sixteen years at this assignment. In addition, he was very much involved with the ministry of the mission procurator for the work dealing with transportation and foreign currency exchange in the Philippines and Jamaica, West Indies. While not active in many of the preaching ministries because of these obligations, he was considered an excellent liturgist and often assisted at ordination ceremonies of Bishop Cuthbert O’Gara, C.P. His actual death was a major shock to the province. On January 1 Provincial Canisius Hazlett and First Consultor Luke Missett were momentarily interrupted by Father Boyle. He said he was going to the Post Office to drop off some necessary mail. A short time later news was received that he was hit by a car. He was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital, Hoboken, New Jersey where he died that day.