Born February 3, 1909, he professed his vows on August 15, 1929 and was ordained on May 30, 1936 by Bishop Cuthbert O’Gara, C.P. In March 1941 Father Sullivan volunteered for the U.S. Army as a military chaplain. After Pearl Harbor in December of 1941 he was assigned to the 4th Infantry Division and served until October 1945. He received five combat awards including the Arrowhead for the Normandy invasion and the Bronze Star. He was among some of the first troops to enter Paris. When he left the Army, he was acting Division Chaplain with the rank of major. He served the province as Retreat Director at St. Paul’s, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for fourteen years where he started a new wing addition. He was vicar at Shelter Island, and later vicar at Holy Cross Center, Dunkirk, New York. He also lived in West Hartford, Connecticut. His last years were spent at Jamaica, New York and his final fourteen months at Fitzpatrick Pavillon, Mary Immaculate Hospital, Queens. His older brother was Father Thomas Sullivan, C.P.
February 3, 1909
August 15, 1929
May 30, 1936
December 16, 1994
Cajetan of Our Lady of Mercy Sullivan