Born February 14, 1858 in South Side, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, he received his early education at St. Michael’s School. For a while he pursued the tinner’s trade before he entered the Passionists. At 19 he entered the Passionist novitiate at St. Paul’s Monastery, Pittsburgh. He took his first vows on September 8, 1878. Shortly thereafter he was sent for theological studies in Rome, Italy where he was ordained on December 20, 1884.
Upon his return to the United States he worked for five years preaching missions throughout the United States throughout the West and Northwest. He then was assigned to St. Michael’s Church where he ministered for 45 years. Key was his success as Director of St. Michael’s School where he balanced sternness and wisdom. Even in his later years, having resigned as director, he taught catechism to the students. He was considered a good confessor and was a well-prepared preacher. In 1923 he was able to have a chapel built at St. Michael’s which was dedicated to the Sorrowful Virgin. He died on September 8, 1935.