Father Julius Busse, C.P., Holy Cross Province (1907-1954)

Home / Biography / Father Julius Busse, C.P., Holy Cross Province (1907-1954)

Born Sebastian Busse March 12, 1907 in Seneca, Kansas, he was the son of Charles Busse and Fredericka Nolte. He grew up in St. Paul, Kansas on the bank of Flatrock Creek. He attended St. Francis School, St. Paul. In August 1921, after completing the seventh grade, he and three others from St. Paul went to the Passionist Seminary, Normandy, Missouri. In 1925 he entered the novitiate at Louisville, Kentucky and professed his vows on August 3, 1926. His religious name was Julius. He was ordained December 30, 1931 in Chicago, Illinois. After a year of Sacred Eloquence he was assistant pastor at St. Ann, Normandy. He also worked with Black Catholics at Holy Family Parish, Ensley, Alabama. He was a preacher of parish missions at Des Moines, Iowa. In 1941 he requested permission to serve as a military chaplain and was accepted on April 8, 1942. He left that ministry as a major in April 11, 1946. From 1941 until 1942 he was hospital chaplain at Hines Memorial Hospital for Veterans, Maywood, Illinois. As a military chaplain he was assigned to the 17th Infantry of the 7th Infantry Division of the United States Army. He saw action in the Pacific. Prior to deployment the division was located at Ford Ord, California and trained in the Mohave Desert. Their first battle assignment however was the Aleutian Islands at the Attu Island where he received the Silver Star. In 1943 the division was sent to Hawaii and participated in action on the Marshall Islands. He was transferred to Headquarters of the 7th Infantry Division. Next was the campaign in the Philippines where he was wounded in the wrist during the 110 day campaign. He received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for action of Leyte Island. Later the division was sent to Korea and he participated in the occupation of Okinawa. Upon return to the province he was stationed at St. Joseph Retreat, Birmingham, Alabama where he aided in the construction to the residence and was engaged as a preacher of missions. In 1947 he was elected Rector of Louisville, Kentucky and then at the next chapter was elected Rector of Detroit, Michigan until September 1952. He resigned to participate in the overseas mission to Japan. He was appointed superior of the mission and was en route to San Francisco when he was overcome with disease which led to his death. He had an intestinal seizure which was found to be cancerous. He was operated on at Parsons, Kansas and relieved of his mission responsibility to Japan. His health did improve and he was able to give some retreats but the cancer came back and he died in Parsons, Kansas.