Born James H. Mulcahy in Cambridge, Massachusetts on April 6, 1894, he was the son of John Mulcahy and Margaret Tighe. He attended Cambridge Latin High School from 1908 until 1910, the Burdett Business School from 1910 until 1911. After working for five years he went to the Passionist Preparatory Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland from 1916 until 1917. That year he entered the Passionist novitiate in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and professed his vows on October 31, 1918 receiving the religious name Justin. He was ordained on June 14, 1924. After ordination in taught in the Preparatory Seminary. Later he studied at the Pius X School of Liturgical Music in New York City which provided a grounding for his work as professor of liturgical music and formation. After twenty-four years of teaching he was sent to Rome from 1948 to 1950 to obtain a degree in Church Music at the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music. From 1950 he continued to teach until 1963. From that time on he was assigned to Dunkirk, New York; Brighton, Massachusetts; and finally Shrewsbury, Massachusetts.
April 6, 1894
October 31, 1918
June 14, 1924
February 21, 1981
Justin of the Immaculate Mother of God Mulcahy