Father Linus Burke, C.P., Holy Cross Province (1896-1959)

Home / Biography / Father Linus Burke, C.P., Holy Cross Province (1896-1959)

Born June 7, 1896 in Mater Dolorosa Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana. His parents, Edward and Mary had seven children: five girls and two boys. Baptized Harvey Archie he was educated locally. In 1911 two Passionists conducted a mission at Mater Dolorosa and Archie served the Mass. Impressed, it was not long before he was on his way to the Passionist Preparatory Seminary located at Norwood Park, Illinois. It was an old white frame building. In 1912 the Prep moved to Holy Cross Monastery, Cincinnati, Ohio. Archie was called Simon at the Prep. He was sensitive and if teased could cry quite easily.

In August 1912 seminarian Simon Burke entered the Passionist novitiate at Sacred Heart Retreat in Louisville, Kentucky. His Master of Novices was Father Denis Callaghee and again Burke’s name was changed to Linus. On December 11, 1913 Linus Burke professed his vows.

After profession, Burke was back at Immaculate Conception, Norwood Park for theology or “classics” studies, as they were called at that time. He stayed there, except for one year at St. Paul, Kansas, until 1921 when he was ordained. Burke was a good student. He learned how to converse in the Spanish language from the Spanish-speaking Mexican Passionist students who were exiled from Mexico due to the 1914 Mexican Revolution.

Burke was ordained on August 14, 1921 at Holy Angels Church, Chicago, Illinois by Bishop Gavick. Burke’s first assignment was Sacred Heart Retreat, Louisville where he went out to conduct Forty Hour Devotions, Days of Recollection, Conferences to Sisters, and Short Retreats, and eventually parish missions.

From 1938-1941 Father Burke consistently said the late Mass at the parish at Norwood Park.. He was considered a popular and pleasing preacher. From 1941 to 1946 he was at another assignment. In 1946 he returned to Norwood Park for a Silver Jubilee celebration. Father Burke died shortly after 6 P.M. on September 9, 1959 at Mt. Carmel-Mercy Hospital, Detroit, Michigan.