Born Raymond Harding on November 26, 1888 in Dunkirk, New York, he was the son of John and Helen Hogan Harding. He attended St. Mary’s Parish school and in 1903 entered the Passionist Preparatory School at St. Mary’s Monastery, Dunkirk. He entered the Passionist novitiate, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and professed his vows on March 7, 1905 and received the religious name William. On December 12, 1912 he was ordained a priest by Bishop Colton of Buffalo, New York. He served as director of the Preparatory School, Baltimore, Maryland and pastor of the monastery church there from 1927 until 1942 where he oversaw the building of the new monastery parish church. In 1916 he was vice-rector of the new Passionist Preparatory School, Dunkirk He was professor of moral theology at St. Michael’s Monastery, Union City, New Jersey and later was assistant pastor at St. Michael’s Parish there. In 1942 he was a preacher of parish missions. From 1943 until 1947 he was field representative of Sign Magazine. He was back again in Baltimore for the last years of his life in 1947. He died in Phoenix, Arizona where he was as part of his golden jubilee celebration and with the hope that his failing health might improve.
November 26, 1888
March 7, 1905
December 12, 1912
March 26, 1966
William of the Sorrowful Mother Harding