Chelsea, New York Historical Summary
Word of the Cross (Chelsea, New York)
In 1932, the Passionists purchased the Budd Estate in Chelsea, New York, to build a monastery. However, this 100-acre farm in the Hudson River Valley and Archdiocese of New York remained vacant. In 1976, five Passionists began the Word of the Cross Charismatic Community, balancing their time between preaching, prayer, study, and community. In 1989, due to the lack of vocations and financial realities and the participants’ decision to pursue other ministries resulted in the sale of the residence. Fathers Bennet Kelley and Owen Lally continued to rent and minister until 1994 when Father Kelley moved out due to illness. Father Lally moved later in the year.